Crazy Stats & Records set during the 2014 NBA All-Star Game
Editor in Chief
Aka VincentDa & RedApples fka Expiredpineapples. My alter-ego is a digital-marketing guy in Houston. Won editing awards & created obsolete flash websites that have been featured in mags like Sports Illustrated. Studied film & women at FSU during the golden age of hip-hop. Collects records, laserdiscs, sports memorabilia & toys. Father of 2 daughters that are more athletic and popular on YouTube.
Follow @David Astramskas
Sunday’s All-Star game was a fantasy game for statisticians and analysts who had fun watching All-Star record after record get smashed and others get threatened in the East’s 163 – 155 victory over the West. Here’s a list of the records that were set and the All-Stars that set them.
NBA All-Star Game records set Sunday:
- Most combined points (318; previous record was 303 in 1987)
- Most points by one team (163 by East; previous record was 155 by West in 2003 in 2OT)
- Most combined field goals made (135; previous record was 128 in 2007)
- Most field goals made by one team (70 by East; previous record was 69 by West in 2007)
- Most combined 3-pointers made (30; previous record was 26 in 2012 and 2013)
- Most 3-pointers made by one team (16 by West; previous record was 14 by East in 2012 and West in 2013)
- Most combined 3-point attempts (100; previous record was 71 in 2013)
- Most 3-point attempts by one team (56 by West; previous record was 39 by East in 2013)
- Most combined assists (88; previous record was 85 in 1984)
- Blake Griffin: 19 FG made; Previous record was 17 held by Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Kevin Garnett
- Carmelo Anthony: 8 3-pointers made; Previous record was 6 by Mark Price in 1993 and LeBron James in 2012
- 31 points and 14 assists
- 15 points in the 4th quarter
- 24 second half points tied a record by Glen Rice in 1997
- 2nd youngest All-Star MVP
- 30 points
- All-Star record 8 3-pointers. Previous was 6 by Mark Price in 1993.
- 38 points (19-23 fg). 4 short of tying Wilt in 1962.
- 9 1st quarter field goals
- 8 dunks in the first quarter
- 10 first half field goals tied Wilt in 1962
- 19 field goals in a game broke the record of 17 that was shared by Wilt (62), Jordan (88) and KG (2003)
- 38 points (14-27 fg)
- 4th straight All-Star game with 30+ points
- All-Star record 17 3-point attempts