Alan Stein: 39 things I’ve learned in the last 39 years
Editor in Chief
Aka VincentDa & RedApples fka Expiredpineapples. My alter-ego is a digital-marketing guy in Houston. Won editing awards & created obsolete flash websites that have been featured in mags like Sports Illustrated. Studied film & women at FSU during the golden age of hip-hop. Collects records, laserdiscs, sports memorabilia & toys. Father of 2 daughters that are more athletic and popular on YouTube.
Follow @David Astramskas
“I’ve learned you can fool anyone for about 15 minutes… after that you better know what you are doing.”
That was #2 on Alan Stein’s list of 39 things he’s learned in the last 39 years. The reason why I singled out that bullet is because I’ve seen and met a lot of “trainers” in the basketball world but the only one that I remember talking to or about a few years ago and also a few days ago is Alan. If I thought about it a little more I’m sure I would think of a few others but then I’ll just say the only trainer I met a few years ago that I thought was and still is great at his job and a great guy is Alan.
So here’s 19 more things on his list and you can read the other 19 at StrongerTeam.com.
- I’ve learned it doesn’t cost anything to be nice… to smile… or to say ‘good morning.’
- I’ve learned that it’s just as important to be liked as it is to be good – because being liked will help you get through the times when you aren’t so good.
- I’ve learned that the key to happiness is figuring out what is truly important and disregarding everything else.
- I’ve learned that trust and honesty are the most important factors in all relationships.
- I’ve learned that nothing of value comes without effort.Nothing.
- I’ve learned that a person is only as good as their word.
- I’ve learned that the disappointment of failure doesn’t hurt as bad as the regret of not even trying.
- I’ve learned that if you truly care… it shows.
- I’ve learned that knowledge, experience and memories are 3 things no one can ever take from you.
- I’ve learned that your attitude and your effort are the only 2 things in the world you have complete control over… so focus on them.
- I’ve learned that it is OK to be proud of your success; but always remain humble.
- I’ve learned that a good reputation is a tremendous asset in every area of your life.
- I’ve learned that we are all happiest when we are growing, learning and improving.
- I’ve learned that people are as happy as they choose to be.
- I’ve learned that it is much easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble.
- I’ve learned that success isn’t something that happens to you, it’s something you make happen.
- I’ve learned not to focus on money. Instead, focus on your passion, on excellence and on serving others… and the money will come.
- I’ve learned that I choose my habits and my habits dictate my success (hence, success is a choice).
- I’ve learned that if there were no problems or challenges there would be no opportunities. So embrace them.