Anthony Davis (36/14/9/7) and Others Who Have Flirted With a Quadruple-Double
There’s only been 4 quadruple doubles (6 if you count the time Hakeem was cheated of an assist in 1990 and Clyde Drexler in 96) in NBA history and on Sunday night in a double OT loss to the Nuggets, the Pelicans’ Anthony Davis flirted with becoming the 5th when he dropped 36 points 14 rebounds, 9 blocks and 7 assists on the Nuggets.
Those numbers put him in a category with David Robinson as the only players to record more than 30 points, 10 rebounds, 8 blocks and 7 assists but the Admiral did it twice.
- 34pts, 10rebs, 10asts, 10blks
- 31pts, 14rebs, 10asts, 7blks
- 27pts, 12rebs, 10asts, 8blks (honorable mention)
Not taking anything anyway from AD, but as impressive as his monster stat line was, at his rate those 3 needed assists might as well have been 10 because it was going to take a lot more OTs for him to reach the epic milestone. So, it’s unlikely this game will be remembered as a near quadruple double just like you don’t remember in 2013 when Spencer Hawes had a game where he had 7+ in 4 categories (18pts, 16rebs, 8asts, 7blks). Same with Michael Carter-Williams’ NBA debut where he put up 22pts, 12asts, 9stls, 7rebs. People don’t even remember Shaq putting up 28 pts, 20 rebs, 9 asts and 8 blks in the 2001 NBA finals and that’s one of the best playoff stat lines in recent memory.
Or even Tim Duncan’s 2003 Finals performance with 21 pts, 20 rebs, 10 asts and 8 blks!
A real near quadruple double are the games I mentioned by Hakeem and Clyde or the time when Michael Ray Richardson put up 38/11/11/9 in 1985.
With that said, it was still a great game by The Brow.
I wouldn’t feel right discussing stat fillers without bringing up Andrei Kirilenko aka AK-47 who was one of the biggest 5×5 threats ever. Here’s a few of his best games.
- 2003: 10 points 12 rebounds 6 assists 5 blocks 6 steals
- 2006: 14 points 8 rebounds 9 assists 7 blocks 6 steals
- 2004: 11 points 14 rebounds 7 assists 7 blocks
- 2003: 19 points 5 rebounds 7 assists 5 blocks 8 steals
- Clyde Drexler Robbed Of a Quadruple Double in 96
- AK-47 aka The 5×5 threat
- David Robinson quadruple double in 94
- Michael Carter-Williams almost quadruple double in NBA debut
- Hakeem the quadruple threat