Joel Embiid Interested In Competing In The 3-Point Contest + 10 Other Big Man Candidates
Editor in Chief
Aka VincentDa & RedApples fka Expiredpineapples. My alter-ego is a digital-marketing guy in Houston. Won editing awards & created obsolete flash websites that have been featured in mags like Sports Illustrated. Studied film & women at FSU during the golden age of hip-hop. Collects records, laserdiscs, sports memorabilia & toys. Father of 2 daughters that are more athletic and popular on YouTube.
Follow @David Astramskas
During the 76ers loss to the Magic on Friday, NBA Rookie of the Month Joel Embiid put up 25 points, 10 rebounds and 4 assists in just 27 minutes. He also knocked down three more 3-pointers, giving him a total of 18 for the season. The most shocking stat related to the 7’2 big man’s 3-point shooting is his .514 percentage, which is by far the best on the 76ers.
Embiid was recently asked about participating in the NBA 3-Point Contest and his reply with a smile was, “It would be nice.”
As evident by his 3 of 5 last night, 3 of 4 and 4 of 4 against the Cavs this season, he can shoot the 3, but can he can he shoot enough of them in one minute to win a contest?
“If I have a chance to be in it, I have to practice all that,” Embiid said.” But I think I can get it. I got to work on my quick release and you know most of the shots I take from three, I always hold my follow through.
“So in an all-star game, it’s about getting it up. So I have work on that.”
Forget the Splash Bros or as Barkley would say, “them little dudes.” Let’s get 2012 winner Kevin Love and a few other big men in the contest. Here’s a list of potential candidates.
- Channing Frye: 2nd in the league in 3-PT FG%
- Marc Gasol: 12th in 3-PT FG% and his 29 made 3s this season is 17 more than his first 8 seasons combined
- Karl-Anthony Towns: 3 of 5 in his last game, 3 of 3 vs Gasol and because he won the NBA Skills Challenge last season
- Dwight Howard: Seriously, only because he recently said he wants to start shooting 3s this season
- Domantas Sabonis: 7th in 3-PT FG% and because he’s a rookie and son of a legend
- DeMarcus Cousins: Have you ever seen him in a charity game? He also had a recent streak of 4 games with 3+ 3-pointers (15-25 shooting)
- Kristaps Porzingis: 7’1, 7’2 or 7’3 and has had 9 games this season with atleast 7 3-PT attempts
- Frank Kaminsky: He’s only made 4 of his last 24 attempts but the 7’0 Tank loves to shoot 3s
- Ryan Anderson: 7th in made 3-point goals and shooting 43%
- Brook Lopez: Has 4 games with 4+ 3s and has attempted as many as 11 in a single game
- Kevin Love: 2012 winner and because the competition doesn’t look white enough