Julius Dr J Erving Career Memorabilia Sold for $3.5million
There was a lot of talk that DR J was in financial trouble when the news broke that he was auctioning off his memorabilia but after hearing that it pulled a record $3.5 million for 144 items nobody is feeling sorry for the NBA legend now.
Below is a list of some of the items sold as originally published by Philly.com . I wonder how many other NBA players will see this and setup an ebay account (calling JR Rider & Antoine Walker)
- Erving’s 1974 New York Nets ABA championship ring netted $460,471, a record for a sports ring.
- His 1983 76ers championship ring: $244,240.
- His 1983 All-Star game MVP trophy: $115,242.
- The jersey he wore in his final NBA game, a Game 5 loss to Milwaukee in the first round of the 1987 playoffs: $88,826.
- Sixers reversible practice jersey: $5,522.
- 1978 All-Star ring: $238,853.
- Game ball used to score his 25,000th career point: $92,086.
- His graduation tassel from the University of Massachusetts: $640.
- His 1968 class ring from Roosevelt (N.Y.) High: $35,801.
- Basketball signed by 14 members of the Sixers 1983 championship team: $11,262.
- His playbook from the 1976-77 season: $16,980.
The 61-year-old Erving told the Associated Press last month he planned to donate a portion of the auction proceeds to the Salvation Army.
The auction included more than just stuff from Erving’s life and career. Among the more interesting items from other sports were:
- A game-worn Ted Williams Boston Red Sox road jersey: $77,820.
- The bat Lou Gehrig used to hit his last home run in a Yankees uniform: $403,664.
- The trunks Muhammad Ali wore in his loss to Joe Frazier in the “Fight of the Century” at Madison Square Garden in March 1971: $173,102.
- Sneakers worn by Bulls Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman in 1996 NBA Finals against Seattle: $2,257.
- A $35 check signed by the late Mickey Cochrane, who starred for the Philadelphia A’s from 1925-33: $238. Mickey signed his full name: Gordon S. Cochrane.
[youtube id="nPYJodKri9c" width="600" height="350"]
[youtube id="7oTEWuvOzhI" width="600" height="350"]