(2003) Tracy McGrady Drops 51 on a Rookie Carmelo Anthony (17pts)
On November 14th 2003, the league leader in scoring Tracy McGrady welcomed a future NBA league leader in scoring, Carmelo Anthony, to the league by dropping 51 points on him and his Denver teammates.
Thankfully for Melo, he had more talent around him and came away with the 106-101 victory. Unfortunately for T-Mac and his teammates – including Tyronn Lue and Juwan Howard – the loss was the 8th in a row for the struggling Orlando Magic.
Despite the poor shooting (6 of 23) by the Denver rookie who was in the middle of an awful shooting streak, Melo had a pretty impressive all-around game against the Magic stat stuffer.
- McGrady: 51pts, 6rebs, 5asts, 2stls, 2blks (20-30fg, 8-11 3pt)
- Anthony: 17pts, 14rebs, 7asts, 3stls, 1blk (6-23fg, 1-5 3pt)
As for that awful streak, here’s Melo before Thanksgiving.
- 11/9/03: 19 pts (6-16 fg)
- 11/10/03: 26 pts (9-21 fg)
- 11/14/03: 17 pts (6-23 fg)
- 11/18/03: 10 pts (3-12 fg)
- 11/19/03: 13 pts (2-11 fg)