Preview of 2016 VBL Celeb Game, Bikini Ball, Dunk Contest & Clinic With Nick Young
Editor in Chief
Aka VincentDa & RedApples fka Expiredpineapples. My alter-ego is a digital-marketing guy in Houston. Won editing awards & created obsolete flash websites that have been featured in mags like Sports Illustrated. Studied film & women at FSU during the golden age of hip-hop. Collects records, laserdiscs, sports memorabilia & toys. Father of 2 daughters that are more athletic and popular on YouTube.
Follow @David Astramskas
For the last decade, VeniceBall (VBL) continues to revive the golden era of 1990’s style basketball at the historic Venice Beach basketball courts. This Sunday, August 28th, VBL will wrap up its 10th summer season with a star-studded day on the court.
Honoring Venice Beach legend Ron Beals, who was featured in the opening scene of “White Men Can’t Jump”, is the inspiration behind this historical day. Beals has contributed 40 plus years of basketball to Venice Beach and even more to the culture of streetball. Beals suffered a stroke 3 years ago and VBL honors his legacy at the end of every summer by bringing him back out in his wheelchair to admire the fruit of his labor.
Sunday morning kicks off with Los Angeles Laker Nick Young, to host KVBL’s Youth Basketball Clinic at 9:00am. More celebrities will join Nick Young throughout the day (tip-off at 2:30pm) including Woody Harrelson (White Men Can’t Jump), Terrell Owens, Metta World Peace, with NBA All Star Coaches, Shawn Kemp and Spud Webb (Complete list of celebrities and event line up below).
RON BEALS DAY SCHEDULE
- 9am: Bball Clinic 9-10 am with Nick Young
- 10am: KVBL 10U All Star Game
PD Bday Celebration Bash
- 11am: KVBL 13U All Star Game
- 12pm: BATTLE OF THE OG’s 50 & Over Venice Legends
+ Performance by Shephen Fiske – Basketball Scene
Halftime Ceremony with Ron Beals and Family
- 1pm: Bikini Ball hosted by Bdot and Famous Los
- WarmUp Performance by Stephen Garnet
- 2pm: Muscle Milk 3pt Challenge
- 2.30pm: CHINA VS VBL ALL STARS
- Warm Up Shel “Juggernaut” Bailey
- Halftime Show: Twirly Delight + Johnny Phife freestyle Show
- 3pm: CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
OPENING BY HARRY PERRY – Feat Mouthpiece Intro
National Anthem By MM
- HALFTIME + Rob $tone performing new HIT Single Chill Bill
- 4.30pm DUNK CONTEST / To the TOP (who will reach 13 feet?)
Myree Reemix Bowden,
- 5pm VBL CELEBRITY STAR STUDDED GAME