#1 pick Karl-Anthony Towns joined some elite company, including former #1 picks Shaq and David Robinson, after he put up 17 points and 12 rebounds in a win against the Hawks on Monday night. The double-double was his 4th in his first 6 games of his NBA career which placed him behind just Shaq, Robinson and Dikembe Mutombo for most double doubles after 6 games in the past 3 decades.
Towns is also averaging 3 blocks per game despite going blockless in his NBA debut.
Just for kicks, here’s how crazy Shaq’s first 6 games were.
- 12pts, 18rebs (NBA debut record), 3blks (4-8fg, 4-7ft)
- 22pts, 15rebs, 4blks (8-16fg, 6-11ft)
- 35pts, 13rebs, 3blks (15-25fg, 5-8ft)
- 31pts, 21rebs, 4blks (12-19fg, 7-12ft)
- 29pts, 15rebs, 3blks (9-16fg, 11-16ft)
- 29pts, 19rebs, 3blks (12-19fg, 5-11ft)
Shaq would go on to rack up 8 20/20 games including a 46 point/21 rebound game. He would also have 7 games with 7+ blocks including a 38 point/16 rebound/8 block night. Despite those numbers Alonzo Mourning did receive a vote for Rookie of the Year against Shaq.