In order for a team to be eligible for the FAB 50 National Team Rankings, the program must follow the “Eight Semester Rule”, the program must follow age cutoff guidelines of the state association in which the program resides, or the recommended date outlined by the NFHS (19 before September 1). Programs also must be recognized by a high school athletics governing body, be an associate member of a state association, or have full membership to a recognized conference or league.
During the 2021-22 season, the National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (NIBC) started its first full season of regular season games involving all eight programs. For the 2022-23 season, the NIBC expanded to include two more programs. The NIBC programs are: AZ Compass Prep (Chandler, Ariz.), Bishop Walsh (Cumberland, Md.), IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.), La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.), Legacy Early College (Greenville, S.C.), Long Island Lutheran (Brookville, N.Y.), Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.), Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), Sunrise Christian Academy (Bel Aire, Kan.) and Wasatch Academy (Mt. Pleasant, Utah).
Here are the NIBC rules/bylaws that each of the 10 programs must adhere to:
• Program must be part of a state accredited institution that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
• Program must be a full-time academic institution, with a headmaster or athletic director in charge of athletics, and offer a full academic curriculum to multiple students.
• Program must follow age cutoff date recommended by the NFHS (19 before September 1).
• Players must not be fifth year or post-graduate players (Eight Semester Rule).
• Transfer deadline to be an eligible player on the post-season roster is the end of the first week of January (Jan. 6, 2023).