Happy 54th Birthday Michael Jordan – Top 54 plays
The “man” who is on every player’s Mt. Rushmore of NBA greats, Michael Jordan, turns 54 today. So in honor of The GOAT of all GOATS, we present some of our favorite videos and Ballislife articles about his airiness and the top 54 plays from an impeccable career every NBA great after him has had to or will have to compete with to measure their greatness.
TOP 54 PLAYS BY MICHAEL JORDAN
#51: MJ breaks a backboard in 1985 during a Nike exhibition game in Italy.
#52: Jordan dunks on Shaq, who will only admit to MJ & DC as guys who have dunked on him
#53: Jordan hits his head on the backboard while blocking a shot
#54: Take your pick from this insane ball fake compilation.
If those 54 plays, 6 rings, 6 Finals MVP awards, 5 MVP awards, 14 All-Star game appearances, 10 All-NBA 1st Team spots and 10 Scoring titles isn’t enough to convince you that he’s the greatest of all-time (with no argument) then you might want to read this.
MICHAEL JORDAN (1986 & 1989)
1986: Remember when the internet went crazy over Kevin Durant averaging 37 for a month? Well, during the 86/87 season, MJ averaged 37 for the entire season. A season that started off with a 50 point game against the Knicks followed by 41 the next night. By the end of the first month of the season, he had 5 40+ point games. The last 2 40 point games turned into a 9 game streak of 40+. After a season low 11, he bounced back with back to back 41 games.
Later that season, MJ scored 30+ in 15 out of 16 games. That stretch included 6 40+ games including a 58 and 61 point performance.
The next month, Jordan scored 40+ in 6 out of 7 games, which included a 56 point game.
Not impressed enough? How about in the last week of the season when Jordan scored 164 points in just 3 games?
The end total for that season was 29 40+ games and 8 50+ games. There’s so many more amazing scoring examples I can give you from MJ but I’m going to talk about an unknown streak that might be me more impressive than any scoring streak of his.
1989: It was March 21, 1989 when Doug Collins wanted to experiment with MJ at point guard. For these 24 games, he averaged 29.3ppg, 8.9rpg, 10.6 apg, 2.4spg. Between March 24th and April 14th, he recorded a triple double in ten of the eleven games, including seven consecutive ones. In the game he didn’t record a TD, he finished with 40 points, 11 assists and 7 rebounds. That 40 point game was one of his 10 40+ games that season which also included 5 50+ games.
- The Origin of Nike’s Jumpman Logo aka The $5.2 Billion Michael Jordan Image: Read Story
- Jordan could have been the best point guard ever. Want proof? http://goo.gl/lnCUL
- Storytime: This is what happens when you go off on Michael Jordan – The LaBradford Smith Story: Read Story
- The Greatest 4 Hours Of MJ’s Greatest Moments! http://goo.gl/g9udS
- College Greats: MJ & Why The Bulls Didn’t Want To Draft him: http://goo.gl/l35gA
- TMac’s “love letter” to MJ: http://goo.gl/Ia9FX
- Michael Jordan’s Best Ball Fakes Ever: http://goo.gl/Si0OM
- 4 minutes of MJ Spin Moves: http://goo.gl/RsKpQ
- How MJ, Drexler & Hakeem almost became teammates: http://goo.gl/GGpwD
- Storytime: The night Mike Tyson almost beat Michael Jordan’s A$$ over Robin Givins: Read Story
- The History of Odd Jersey #s for MJ: http://goo.gl/kLzCC
- Michael Jordan scores 63 against Orlando: http://goo.gl/dAJwnI
- Kobe Bryant vs Michael Jordan Duel at MSG | 98 All-Star game: http://bit.ly/1TOCeDI
BONUS: ALL AIR JORDAN COMMERCIALS