The New York Liberty will matchup against the Washington Mystics at home for game 2. Here, you will find the WNBA betting odds, stats, trends, player prop bets, and predictions for Tuesday, Sept. 19th.
Tonight, is Game 2 of the first-round WNBA playoffs between the New York Liberty (1-0, 1-0 Home) and the Washington Mystics (0-1, 0-1 Away). The second of three games, New York hasn't won a playoff series since 2015 against Washington, and will look to bring the first WNBA Championship to New York. With four starters with points in double-figures, the Liberty sealed a Game 1 90-75 victory over the Washington Mystics.
Scoring 29 points and seven three pointers, Sabrina Ionescu drilled a final three with less than 25 seconds to go in regulation. It was an overall physical game between the two teams, and Jonquel Jones finished with her 11th career postseason double-double (20 points, 12 rebounds). Washington struggled in the second half, shooting 22 percent from the three. Myisha Hines-Allen had playoff career high 21 points, and eight rebounds.
In this article, I will break down the WNBA betting odds, statistics, trends, odds, player prop bets, and predictions. The matchup will begin at 7 p.m. ET, at the Barclays Center, located in Brooklyn, New York. If you're Betting on the WNBA and interested in watching, the game will air on ESPN. For the best betting odds, stats and analysis, here is information to know.
WNBA Game 2 Odds:
New York Liberty vs. Washington Mystics O 162.5 Points (-115)
Game 2️⃣ Injury Report: pic.twitter.com/UU3lxhgSnV— Washington Mystics (@WashMystics) September 18, 2023
The New York Liberty defeated the Washington Mystics 90-75 in game one of the WNBA playoffs first-round. Best of three games, the Liberty will look to move on to the semi-finals and take advantage of home court. In Game 1, the over hit with a total of 165 points, and the Liberty covered the -9.5-point spread.
I am reluctant to bet on the spread, as Washington covered in all of the regular season matchups. Given this is a possible elimination game for the Mystics, this game will either be a defensive showdown, or a shootout. We saw Washington have a great first quarter against the Liberty and were ultimately shut down in the second half of the game. Out of eight teams in the playoffs, both the Mystics and the Liberty are tied for last place in terms of pace (91.2).
In Friday's game against New York, Washington finished the night shooting 22.7 percent from three-point, and 41.3 percent from the field. With each team attempting 75 field goal attempts, New York shot 35 percent from three, and 44 percent from the field. For Washington, Natasha Cloud struggled from the field, shooting 1-8 with four points. For New York, MVP candidate Breanna Stewart shot just 3-16 with 10 points. The Washington Mystics shutdown New York's passing lane and held Courtney Vandersloot and company to 18 total assists.
Why the over will hit
Game one hit over 163 points, which included struggles on both sides. With limited assists, and Breanna Stewart ceased, New York managed to score 90 points. In the past ten games, the Liberty are averaging 93 points, and the Mystics 79. Natasha Cloud, guard for the Mystics, stated she "will be guarding Sabrina Ionescu for 40 minutes," and that the Mystics defense was "lazy." (Kareem Copeland, Washington post). Through the month of August and post all-star break, New York ranked first in offensive rating, and have a multitude of scoring options alongside Ionescu. What makes New York so elite are their options on the weak and strong side of the ball, in addition to strong screens by Jonquel Jones and Breanna Stewart.
The Mystics are former 2019 WNBA Champions, and still retain several pieces of their championship roster. Still without Toliver and Austin due to injuries, they will continue to have less depth. Both sides didn't shoot their best, and the Liberty placed until the last seconds, when Ionescu chucked her seventh three pointer of the game. The Washington Mystics have hit two straight overs, and New York four straight games over 161 points. Five of their six matchups, including the regular and post season hit the over. The only game that hit the under was on May 19.
Both the Washington Mystics and the New York Liberty ranked top five in defensive rating, and perimeter defense. Look for New York to create several screens, to get open looks on the perimeter. In four regular season games against the Mystics, the Liberty averaged 84.3 points, and shot 31.3 percent from the perimeter. For the Mystics, they averaged 80.5 points, and shot 33.6 percent from downtown.
Season Statistics & Betting Trends
New York Liberty
- New York Liberty: 4-1 in their last 5 games.
- 9-1 in their last 10 games.
- ATS Record: 19-21-0
- O/U Record: 23-17-0
- 2-3 ATS in their last 5 games.
- 6-4 ATS in their last 10 games.
- O/U is 4-1 in the last 5 games.
- O/U: 7-3 in the last 10 games.
- 2nd in Offensive Rating (109.6)
- 1st in Offensive Rating in the playoffs (118.4)
- 3rd in Defensive Rating (99.4)
- 4th in Defensive Rating in the playoffs (98.7)
- 2nd in Points Per Game (89.2)
- 5th in Pace: 96.56
- Opponent Points Per Game: 80.6 (4th)
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.4 (1st)
- Three-Point Percentage playoffs: 35.3 % (4th)
- Rebounds Per Game: 37.9 (2nd)
- New York ATS won last 10 games: Phoenix (-12.5), Minnesota (-9), Las Vegas (-2), Connecticut (-7.5), Chicago (-9), Washington (-9.5)
- Washington Mystics: 2-3 in their last 5 games.
- 4-6 in their last 10 games.
- ATS Record: 18-21-1
- O/U Record: 15-24-0
- 2-3 ATS in their last 5 games.
- 5-4-1 ATS in their last 10 games.
- O/U is 3-2 in the last 5 games.
- O/U: 4-6 in the last 10 games.
- 7th in Offensive Rating (99.9)
- 5th in Offensive Rating in the playoffs (98.7)
- 5th in Defensive Rating (100.3)
- 8th in Defensive Rating in the playoffs (118.4)
- 8th in Points Per Game (80.5)
- 6th in Pace: 96.40
- Opponent Points Per Game: 80.9 (5th)
- Three-Point Percentage: 33.6 (7th)
- Three-Point Percentage playoffs: 22.7 % (8th)
- Rebounds Per Game: 32.3 (10th)
- Washington: ATS won last 10 games: Las Vegas (+10, +10), Minnesota (-7.5), Phoenix (-7), New York (+10.5).
Head-to-head stats: Liberty vs. Mystics
Game 1: Washington 80, New York 64 (Washington +2.5, under 163.5)
Game 2: New York 89, Washington 88 OT (Washington +7, over 161.5)
Game 3: New York 96, Washington 87 (Washington +10, over 163.5)
Game 4: Washington 90, New York 88 (Washington +10.5, over 162.5)
Game 1: New York 90, Washington 75 (New York -9.5, over 163)
- New York and Washington split the series 2-2
- The Mystics are 3-0 ATS vs. the Liberty this season.
- Game Points (AVG) last 10 matchups: 158
- New York average points last 10 games: 93
- Washington average points last 10 games: 79
NATIONAL PROBLEM GAMBLING HELPLINE
The National Council on Problem Gambling operates the National Problem Gambling Helpline Network. The network is a single national access point to local resources for those seeking help for a gambling problem. The network consists of 28 contact centers that provide resources and referrals for all 50 states and US territories. Help is available 24/7 and is 100% confidential.