In the seventh episode of our all-new “In The Paint Show,“ hosts Ronnie Flores and Devin Ugland go hard in the paint on the controversial NFHS-sanctioned June Live period “scholastic” events. With the NFHS only sanctioning one association per state for the new live periods (June 21-23, June 28-30, 2019), two states with more than one governing body, New York and Texas, have already pulled out, stating none of their sanctioned teams will host events. Recently, the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association (NIAA) also announced it will not host any events. The NIAA is the governing body for both public and private schools in the state.
One of the states where public and private schools belong to different associations and only one is officially recognized by the NFHS for June Live Events is North Carolina. These NFHS sanctioned events are a hot topic in North Carolina and we break it down with our special guests: long-time Greensboro Day (Greensboro, N.C.) head coach Freddy Johnson and his long-time assistant Jeff Smith. Both are knowledgable and passionate about the new June Live Period because Greensboro Day is a member of the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) and its players are not eligible to participate. The NFHS will sanction the approximately 400 public schools that make up the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA).
Here are some of the main points Ron, Dev, Johnson (the 2017 Ballislife National Coach of the Year with over 1,000 career victories in 42 seasons) and Smith (who has been coaching at Greensboro Day since 1990) go hard in the paint on:
• The entire new NCAA Recruiting Calendar
• Why the new calendar has only 6 live days for some potential recruits in 2019, compared to 21 in 2018.
• How some HS coaches don’t want to be involved (underpaid with LAUSD strike as backdrop)
• How some HS coaches like Johnson and Smith do want to be involved with June to get their kids seen by college head coaches in high school setting (it’s much harder for college head coaches to do during season)
• Johnson’s and Smith’s commentary about other states completely pulling out of June
• What the fallout will be in light of states pulling out and growing media pressure to alter the entire calendar
This is our most important and intense episode yet, so make sure to give it a listen below and share it with friends!
To learn more about our hosts, Ronnie Flores and Devin Ugland, and to get more information about what “In The Paint” is all about, check out our intro below!